Thursday, January 29, 2015

January

Jumping back into the program in January, we started off with the Endocrine block. I really enjoyed the block, as I have an interest in Endocrinology and Reproductive Endocrinology. It is interesting to learn about how the body works together in the complicated system, and how figuring out disorders is similar to putting together a puzzle. It struck me how far science still has to go in order to figure out these complicated systems. Along with taking the MCAT, it has been a really busy semester so far.
As we get started in the Neuro block and busy with our new elective classes, I have been able to fit in some time to volunteer. Along with my regular volunteer activities at ESY and SAAK, I have just started orientation to become a volunteer with the Girl Scouts. I am really looking forward to this, as Girl Scouts was an especially bright spot in my childhood. I look forward to helping girls in the New Orleans area learn valuable leadership skills. 
At ESY, Ruby and I switched to working with the kindergarten class! It has been a joy to start off our Wednesday mornings with their enthusiastic faces. Last week, they learned about and sampled foods starting with K, including Kale! This week, they focused on the letter M, tasting Mango, Melon, and Mint Tea. I am looking forward to the rest of the semester with them as they work on their alphabet and vocabulary. 
At St Anna's Arts for Kids Saturday program, Ruby and I have become the Program Coordinators for the Nutrition class. We are responsible for lesson planning, recipe selection, and leading the classes each week. Our first class is coming up this Saturday, where we will focus on learning food groups as we make French Bread Pizzas. It should be a very fun semester. 

Hours: 
Girl Scouts: 1.5 hours (orientation)
ESY: 2 hours 
SAAK: 1 hour 

Total Hours: 4.5 hours 

No comments:

Post a Comment