Thursday, November 20, 2014

November

November has been a COLD month! Starting with the night of Halloween, this cold weather blew in, and I have constantly been a little bit frozen. This is definitely NOT California weather!
I've been able to fit in some volunteering while I've been busy updating my closet with some warmer clothes (and studying for the Pulmonary Exam we had in the middle of the month). Unfortunately, I wasn't able to volunteer with St. Anna's Medical Mission RV this month (all the shifts were taken!), but I am going to talk a little bit about that, as I was able to have a shift in October.
At my shift, I was oriented to the unit, and I learned how to measure blood glucose and properly use a blood pressure cuff, as well as how to interact with the patients and give recommendations on healthcare. There were two patients during my shift, and one brought his Spanish-speaking wife and toddler daughter with him. I was able to practice my Spanish first with him, during the introductory interview, and then later with his daughter as he was being checked out by the medical student. She was showing me photos of animals and we each would say the word in our own language, which was a fun little exercise in Spanish for me, and English for her! She was absolutely adorable, and helped me remember why I want to become a doctor; to help support families such as theirs, so that she can grow up with a healthy dad to take care of her. It was a great experience, and I am hoping to get back to the RV sometime in December.
I've also been volunteering with my nutrition classes at ESY and SAAK. It has been an incredible transformation in both classes, and I can't wait for their last few classes! I will write about them more in December, but I can't help but note how much progress they have made, in knowledge, cooking skills, and professionalism. I have been so lucky to work with both classes.


ESY Cooking Classes: 2 hours
ESY Harvest Day: 3.5 hours
SAAK: 3 hours
Total November: 8.5 hours

Total Semester: 38.5 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment